There has been some talk on some major contributors in the Computer Science Education area about what topics, activities, and resources they are using AFTER the AP examination. Brian Scarbeau is showing episodes the CODE ROOM as a way of entertaining students. I really think it is a great idea. David Jacobus is showing the students ASP.net using the Microsoft curriculum called Curlique. Alfred Thompson points out that another teacher is teaching some XNA after the test. All of these individuals have a great deal of experience compared to me, but I took the chance to do something completely different.
I really only had about three weeks for post-AP exam activities with the class. The first week was spent learning about applets. At the end of the week, we were discussing layout managers, panels, frames, etc… All of the sudden I received an email from the Technology Directory. Every year, the district orders computer kits for the Computer Hardware class so they can learn how to put computer systems together. Tasks include unpacking all material, hooking up all internal connections, adding all peripherals to the barebones computers, and maintaining their work area. This year, they ordered a few more systems than the Computer Hardware has on their roster. So my AP Computer Science A students combined with the Computer Hardware class (both are the same period) to build actual comptuer sytems.
No comments:
Post a Comment